Ownership Culture / Psychological Ownership
Articles may be listed under more than one topic.
- Carris Companies' Practice of Employee Governance: An article about the Carris Companies and their lessons in employee involvement by Dr. Cecile G. Betit, published in the Journal of Corporate Citizenship.
- Making Employee Ownership Real: An Interview with Loren Rodgers, published by The Foundation for Enterprise Development [now the Beyster Institute at the Rady School, UC San Diego] in its online magazine, Leading Company (August, 2000). Gives an overview of what an ownership culture is and how a company can go about creating one.
- Managing Ownership Complexity by Christopher Mackin and Loren Rodgers, published in the Foundation for Enterprise Development [now the Beyster Institute at the Rady School, UC San Diego] in its online magazine (November, 2001). This article explores two major clusters of interpretations of ownership: one primarily about financial incentive, and the other about a set of ideas we term "ownership culture."
- What do Employee Owners Really Think About Ownership? by Loren Rodgers. Explains the effects of differences between what management thinks about ownership and what employees think. Published by the National Center for Employee Ownership.
- Human Resources and Company Performance by Noemi Giszpenc. A brief synopsis of research on the performance effects of various approaches to human resources management, published by The ESOP Association.
- Briefing Paper 5: ESOP "Kick-Off" Meeting presents a sample agenda for a kick-off meeting that answers employees' initial questions, defuses common fears, and manages employees' ownership expectations. Buy now!
- Briefing Paper 6: ESOP Training for Middle Managers / Supervisors details an agenda for preparing managers to answer employee questions, sharing the vision statement with managers, clarifying the effect of ownership on management practices, and enhancing managers' group-process skills. Buy now!
- For the Non-Management Champion.
Employee-ownership rarely succeeds if managers are the only ones who support it. Talking
one-on-one with co-workers, and slowly persuading them that ownership is for real, is something that can only be done by
people outside management. This article provides tips and tools for these employee-ownership champions.
- Organizational Psychology and Definitions of Ownership: This article
explores common conceptions of ownership, their prevalence among employee owners, and implications for
- Ownership Theory: Rights and Responsibilities: from the F.E.D. 1996 Annual Journal
- Who's Afraid of Ownership? by Loren Rodgers. Published by The National Center for Employee Ownership in Employee Ownership Report, July/August, 2002, p. 10.
- Creating an Ownership Culture by Christopher Mackin, published in The Journal of Employee Ownership Law and Finance by the National Center for Employee Ownership (NCEO), Vol. II, No. 4, Fall 1990, pp. 79-94.
- Four Challenges of Building an Ownership Culture, the text of a speech delivered in October 1997 to the Slovene Association for Employee Ownership.
- Manage Your Expectations to Avoid the "Option Blues". What do you say to employees with "underwater" options? Click here
for an abstract, or see the full article for no charge at myStockOptions.com.
- Nothing Measured, Nothing Gained: published in the January/February, 1998, issue of the Employee Ownership Report, the newsletter of the National Center for Employee Ownership
- OCR main page The Ownership Culture Reports are a series of working papers on the quantitative study of ownership culture.
- Ownership and Motivation--What Does Ownership Mean to Employees?: The fourth issue of the Ownership Culture Reports.
(Click to download as a PDF file [126 KB].
- Ownership Cynics: The third issue of the Ownership Culture Reports. Click to download as a PDF file [583 KB].
- Trust and Ownership: Trust in Managers and Trust in Ownership: The first issue of the Ownership Culture Reports. Click to download as a PDF file [469 KB].